Principal Solutions Architect
Job ID: 14243
Posted Date: November 8, 2018
Requisition ID: 14243
Want to work with some of the most talented, dedicated people on the planet? Do you value relationships, commitment, innovation and integrity? Want to be a part of a company that has been named numerous times as America’s Best Employer in Aerospace and Defense by Forbes magazine?
Then Rockwell Collins is the place for you. Join our team and build a rewarding career while helping to deliver the most trusted source of aviation and high-integrity solutions in the world.
We are currently searching for a Principal Solutions Architect to join our team in Annapolis, MD (IMS INC) (5010). A comprehensive relocation package is available for qualified candidates. Employing some of the most talented, dedicated people on the planet is not by chance. People from all over the globe choose Rockwell Collins as the place to build a rewarding career, while helping create and deliver communications, integration, and engineering solutions that our global customers demand so that our world keeps moving and stays connected. It’s an exciting time to become a part of our team. Join us and discover how high your career can soar at Rockwell Collins.
The Pr. Solutions Architect will develop and deliver conceptual designs and technical architectures suited to a variety of product, customer and market needs. The individual will be acknowledged as a thought leader within IMS and the broader Rockwell Collins business, credible and comfortable when engaging with executive leadership of both a technical and non-technical disposition.
- Provisioning of the technical solution architecture for capital program and service initiatives.
- Leading, and collaborating with, other members of the Engineering team in the development of technical architecture proposals.
- Provide solution architectures for customer and market opportunities in situations where the technical sales support function does not have the requisite knowledge.
- Must take the initiative in driving technical discussions with the relevant parties and not wait to be invited.
- Designing a target technical architecture for the Technology Services & Operations (TSO) business unit’s portfolio of products and services.
- Devising technical product roadmaps depicting the steps anticipated to migrate from the current state to the targeted future state.
- Engaging with the customer, generating technical proposals and solutions to their business problems, sharing and refining these with them in a collaborative fashion.
- Demonstrating technical thought-leadership to existing and prospective customers in the Air Transport Industry.
- Participation in, and influencing of, Industry bodies and standards groups to align with Rockwell-Collins interests
- Attending industry events and standards making bodies and proactively sharing the information and intelligence derived from these with both the Engineering team and the wider organization.
- Breaking down high level business requirements into their constituent parts and identifying alternative technologies that could potentially be employed to address these.
- Identifying and researching contemporary technologies that may be applicable in addressing product and market needs.
- Making technology choices and proposals that consider the wider business context, risks, opportunities and constraints.
- Fulfilling the role of technical liaison between Global Product Management (GPM), the TSO BU, and the Engineering team.
- Deliver cost efficiencies by migrating the product portfolio over time towards a common target architecture where it makes sense to do so.
- Devise and document the technical policies with which the Engineering team would ordinarily comply.
- Devise and manage a process whereby requests to diverge from the then current technical policies may be heard and adjudicated.
- Partnering with GPM in the technical elaboration of proposed product investments so that initial estimates for inclusion in the capital budget planning process can be made.
- Ensure that design and development work undertaken by others within the Engineering team is aligned to the approved technical architecture for a given project/program.
- Author, champion and have strong opinions on architectural standards and engineering best practices.
- Act as a mentor to more junior engineers in all areas of the systems development life cycle.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) discipline.
- Ten (10) or more years of systems engineering and solutions experience through all phases of the SDLC life cycle and with broad knowledge of core IT technologies including networks, servers, storage, and application security.
- Five (5) or more years of experience with developing and managing technical requirements, including the use of requirements management tools.
- Experience with Cloud tools, technologies, processes and providers is essential.
- Experience of using Visio and other contemporary tools for capturing architectural designs.
- Must be able to use independent judgment to make decisions in day-to-day job responsibilities the majority of the time, under general supervision.
- Must possess the ability to articulate ideas in both business and technical terms, both orally and in writing, according to the audience.
- Must possess the knowledge and experience to be credible in the eyes of senior customer executives (both technical and non-technical).
- Must be comfortable with presenting at customer-facing events and situations.
- Possess the ability to clearly communicate their ideas to designers and developers, securing and sustaining their buy-in.
- Must be able to clearly depict and convey understanding of technical architecture using a wide range of design notations and artifacts, as applicable to the audience
- Willing and able to travel when required.
- A detailed knowledge of the Airport and Air Transport Industry domain s is desirable.
- Knowledge of the existing TSO Business Unit’s portfolio of products and services is an advantage.
- Ability to listen and be comfortable with their ideas being constructively challenged.
- Ability to be perceived as an independent voice unaffiliated to any single Business Unit and/or Engineering location.
- A career path that has provided exposure to and experience of employing a broad spectrum of technologies.
At Rockwell Collins, we believe a solid work-life balance creates a healthy lifestyle and inspires creativity and innovation. We value our people and invest in their development, growth and success at our company by providing development opportunities through Rockwell Collins University, networking, mentoring, and tuition reimbursement.
And that’s just for starters.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
Company-paid winter holiday shutdown for most locations
Generous 401(k) plan that matches 62.5 percent of the first 8 percent of eligible compensation you contribute (or 5 percent if you save 8 percent)
An Incentive Pay Plan based upon company performance
Interested yet? Apply now and embark on your next worthwhile adventure!
Rockwell Collins is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.