Sr Data Scientist – Advanced Technologies
Job ID: 11813
Cedar Rapids, IA
Posted Date: December 5, 2018
Requisition ID: 11813
Collins Aerospace is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defense industry. Created in 2018 by bringing together Rockwell Collins and UTC Aerospace Systems, Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers’ toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market.
Our Avionics team advances aviation electronics and information management solutions for commercial and military customers across the world. That means we’re helping passengers reach their destination safely. We’re connecting aircraft operators, airports, rail and critical infrastructure with intelligent data service solutions that keep passengers, flight crews and militaries connected and informed. And we’re providing industry-leading fire protection and safety systems that our customers can count on when it matters most. Are you ready to learn from the most knowledgeable experts in the industry, develop the technologies of tomorrow and reach new heights in your career? Join our Avionics team today.
The lifeblood of aviation’s information age is information itself: the massive volume of data carrying everything from passenger reservations to critical flight instructions to maintenance records. Collins Aerospace is at the forefront of the fully connected aircraft in the delivery of value added applications and services. To meet this need, our Advanced Technology Center is growing our Data Analytics group and in search of enthusiastic data scientists and software engineers to join our expanding team!
The Advanced Technology Center focuses on applied research projects and provides engineers and scientists with opportunity to shape the future of technology. We work closely with our business unit engineers in multiple domains spanning the enterprise. The Data Analytics group focuses on applying big data, data analytics, IoT, and applied machine learning for aviation applications.
- Diving head first into a new challenging problem area
- Developing working prototypes and deploying frameworks with Docker and Kubernetes
- Working closely with geographically diverse teams
- Phenomenal communication and presentation skills to advocate for new technology areas and solutions.
- Understanding business strategies and market opportunities
- Transitioning technology to internal and external stakeholders
- Self-starter with a passion for technology and innovation
- The candidate must possess a STEM degree along with a strong understanding of big data tools, software development processes related to Continuous Integration and Agile, data analytics, and machine learning
- 3+ years in software development
- 3+ years experience with Python and/or Java
- The candidate must have some background or experience in database design for small big data systems (TBs) with NoSQL and Distributed File Systems.
- Machine Learning or a background in Machine learning strongly encouraged
- Strong usage and understanding of containerization technologies (Docker), container registries, and code revision tools (Git)
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in several of these areas:
- IoT management technology
- Machine learning frameworks like:
- Keras, Tensorflow, Caffe, Darknet, DL4J
- Distributed manipulation frameworks
- Apache Spark, etc
- Distributed database setups
- Cassandra, Redis, etc
- Specific open source or cloud technologies:
- Crowdsourcing information (AWS mechanical turk, pyBossa)
- Kubernetes and Docker
- Distributed messaging frameworks:
- Kafka, GRPC, NATS
- Microservice technologies
- Jetty, NGINX, Flask, Node JS, uWSGI, gUnicorn
At Collins, the paths we pave together lead to limitless possibility. And the bonds we form – with our customers and with each other — propel us all higher, again and again.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution
Life insurance and disability coverage
Apply now and be part of the team that’s redefining aerospace, every day.
Collins Aerospace is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.