Application Development Engineer
Job ID: 6067
Posted Date: March 28, 2018
Requisition ID: 6067
Want to work with some of the most talented, dedicated people on the planet? Do you value relationships, commitment, innovation and integrity? Want to be a part of a company that has been named numerous times as America’s Best Employer in Aerospace and Defense by Forbes magazine?
Then Rockwell Collins is the place for you. Join our team and build a rewarding career while helping to deliver the most trusted source of aviation and high-integrity solutions in the world.
We are currently searching for a Application Development Engineer to join our team in Annapolis, MD (INC) (5010). Employing some of the most talented, dedicated people on the planet is not by chance. People from all over the globe choose Rockwell Collins as the place to build a rewarding career, while helping create and deliver communications, integration, and engineering solutions that our global customers demand so that our world keeps moving and stays connected. It’s an exciting time to become a part of our team. Join us and discover how high your career can soar at Rockwell Collins.
Enterprise Connected Aircraft Solutions integrate applications, communications, information management services, infrastructure support, and regulatory oversight to turn any aircraft into a mobile extension of an airline’s operating infrastructure. From real-time in-flight information updates and data transfer, instant connectivity for aircraft arriving at the gate, to hardware and third party application support, Rockwell Collins IMS’s digital technology ensures seamless and continuous communications between the air and the ground at all times.
The Application Development Engineer will design and develop applications using defined software development life-cycle (SDLC) methodologies. Applications utilizing open source components where feasible are designed around an open and adaptable architecture allowing for seamless integration with other airline and third-party provider applications.
The Application Development Engineer will:
- Support application requirements generation based on business requirements.
- Create Design and Use Case documentation using UML modeling and other defined processes.
- Develop software applications and services using Python, C++, and possibly other programming languages.
- Develop software applications incorporating aircraft messaging and utilizing information from other aviation related applications and sources for hosting on Windows, Linux, iOS and Android platforms.
- Design and interpret database design/schemas, schema updates, and fine tune database queries and apply, refresh and rebuild indexes as appropriate.
- Use Open Source knowledge to vet and apply reuse of publicly available existing solutions to the development process
- Perform various levels of testing from unit testing (code level) to functional end-to-end testing. This includes quality documentation and execution of unit level test plans and development of automated tests.
- One or more years of employment experience in software application development life cycle (SDLC) including design, development, and test involving specified programming languages.
- Experience with Python, C++, Java, or other Web/GUI enabling languages and be motivated to learn new languages.
- Experience in UML design using design tools such as Enterprise Architect.
- Experience with web frameworks, such as Django, and be motivated to learn new frameworks.
- Experience with databases such as PostgreSQL or SQLite and be capable of designing and interpreting database design/schemas.
- Experience with both Windows and Linux OS environments, including implementing and managing virtual environments
- Support and adhere to documented engineering processes within an ISO 9001 environment.
- Experience using an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) such as Wingware Python IDE and Visual Studio C++.
- Must be able to work in a rapid development environment.
- Ability to produce quality product output (design documentation, code, etc.) which meets stated requirements and within schedule.
- Ability to read and comprehend specifications documents and apply the protocols or theories to the current task.
- Work independently in a global team-oriented environment.
- Dependable in a schedule-driven environment.
- Fluent in the English language: strong written and oral communication (including listening) skills are required.
- Flexible with work hours including occasional off-hours work because of dealing with International customers.
- Professionally and effectively interact with internal and external customers.
- Available for on-call support of operational issues.
- Cloud Technologies.
Education: BS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field is required.
- Experience within the aviation community is a plus.
- Familiarity with Open Source packages.
- Ability to delve into new technology including new OS platforms such as iOS and Android.
- Experience with VM specifically VMware & Virtual Box.
- Basic knowledge of Cyber Security for servers.
- Basic networking experience.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud technologies
At Rockwell Collins, we believe a solid work-life balance creates a healthy lifestyle and inspires creativity and innovation. We value our people and invest in their development, growth and success at our company by providing development opportunities through Rockwell Collins University, networking, mentoring, and tuition reimbursement.
And that’s just for starters.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
Company-paid winter holiday shutdown for most locations
Generous 401(k) plan that matches 62.5 percent of the first 8 percent of eligible compensation you contribute (or 5 percent if you save 8 percent)
An Incentive Pay Plan based upon company performance
Interested yet? Apply now and embark on your next worthwhile adventure!
Rockwell Collins is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.